Jason Reeves' Similes and Metaphors

I was surfing the web as usual and I happened to chance upon the website of one Jason Reeves, apparently an up-and-coming singer/songwriter. He has some videos up on YouTube, if you care to look. On his website, I read one of his blog entries and was just amazed at this guy's writing. I wish I could write like this!
"number six
12.01.08
my television set screams the troubles of the times. paying vague attention through the filters of my mind, words like "go hungry" and "crashing economy" and "turn for the worst" stab through like a blade in perfect clarity. it is strange for me to hear this with eyes locked in the other direction, lost in the patterns of the leaves. im going to change my machines and listen to music instead. im drinking tea from china. who knew the desperation of a race could disintegrate into the sipping of a simple drink. i am an old soul circulating. i feel like if i were perched on the peak of a pristine ridge, facing the mists of the mountains of asia, i would see the exact same thing that is printed upon the closed linings of my eyelids. i would hang like a hawk in the clouds that create them. watching for little signs of life. if i were a tree clinging to the dirt to survive, i would learn to love the light. i would dance in the rain. i would grow until i died and never once complain. i would do it all again. the green river of revelations. sip slowly. i would move north up the coast. and build a treehouse village bound by bridges. i would make a cabin home. lost within the trees to witness heaven's wisdom breathe and grow...."
Although it isn't what makes his writing great, I, too, have written some journal entries where I completely ditched proper capitalization, like he does here. It's cool sometimes, but oftentimes, it makes the writer seem ignorant and incapable of following proper rules of composition. With this one entry of Jason's, it's the former kind, I think.

I am not a trained writer and so I don't have the fancy names to point out what makes his writing good. I just know it is. The way his descriptions and metaphors and similes just mesh together, it just flows right out of the page.

Comments

Popular Posts