The City by the Bay

It is the first of February and I realized that I have not written anything here the entire month of January. My friend/ex-resident/avid blog reader KayeFish suggested that it was about time I updated my blog. She was right.

The only problem is that I don’t know what to write.
By way of an update, I’m still waiting for things to happen. I still don’t know what tomorrow will bring and I certainly don’t know where God is taking me. So I wait. And wait. I’m slowly learning one of the big lessons God has for me: patience.

While waiting, I haven’t been fully unoccupied. I’ve taken the USMLE Step 3 after a 2-week study (for those unfamiliar, that time is extremely short to do any kind of serious studying). I’m waiting for my score to come out.

I have also gone around downtown San Francisco a few times. During these trips, I am surer by the moment that San Francisco is my favorite city thus far. Maybe after I visit Europe to see Rome, Paris, or London, I’ll know for sure (when this will happen only God knows). There is a certain homeyness about San Francisco that I did not feel in the other big cities like New York, LA, or Chicago. The winters here are not so harsh and the frigid, white stuff is never seen. Try as I might, my affinity and affection for San Francisco can't really be explained. I guess, except for Manila, out of all the places I've been to, this city is where I feel most comfortable.

One of my favorite spots in the entire city is in the UCSF Kalmanovitz Library. Starting from the third up to the fifth (top) floor of the medical library, you get a stunning view of almost the entire city, including the San Francisco Bay and the Golden Gate Bridge. On a clear day, one can see the crystal blue waters of the Bay reflecting the sun’s rays and the tips of the columns of the famous red Bridge.

Here are some photos I took while I was there studying for Step 3.



Some more SF photos on my Flickr account.

I have a few more places I’d like to visit in San Francisco before I come home. On my list are the Palace of Fine Arts and the Presidio area in the northern part of the city, Golden Gate Park and possibly the De Young Museum, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, and a return visit to the Yerba Buena Gardens. One of these days, I’ll get myself some clam chowder on Sourdough Bread at the Fisherman’s Wharf.

I was recently listening to the new album of Tony Bennett, one of my all-time favorite singers. I love his original rendition of this one song that almost captures what I will most definitely feel on the flight back home to Manila.


I Left My Heart In San Francisco - Tony Bennett

Don't get me wrong, though. I can't wait to come home to Manila.

Comments

The Fish said…
Clam chowder on sourdough bread sounds reallllyyy good :)
Great post, karl.

Popular Posts