The Promise I Made

Today, 09 September 2007, I made an oath to God and to myself. It is, for me, the most important one I will ever make professionally. Its tenets shall govern my practice of the healing arts until I retire or until the Lord takes me home. Human nature dictates that I will sometimes forget that I ever made this oath, perhaps when faced with a situation where I have much to gain or much to lose at the expense of my patient's health or life. I record this oath now, for posterity. May I always remember this covenant I made today between the Almighty God and myself.

***

THE HIPPOCRATIC OATH*

I solemnly pledge to consecrate my life to the service of the humanity.
I will give to my teachers the respect and gratitude that is their due.
I will practice my profession with conscience and dignity.
The health of my patient will be my first consideration.
I will respect the secrets that are confided in me, even after the patient has died.
I will maintain by all means in my power the honor and the noble traditions of the medical profession.
My colleagues will be my sisters and brothers.
I will not permit consideration of age, disease or disability, creed, ethnic origin, nationality, political affiliation, race, sexual orientation, social standing or any other factor to intervene between my duty and my patient.
I will maintain the utmost respect for human life.
I will not use medical knowledge to violate human rights and civil liberties, even under threat.
I make these promises solemnly, freely, and upon my honor.

*Editorially revised at the 170th and 173rd Council Sessions of the World Medical Association, France, 2005 and 2006.

Comments

Popular Posts