Reminiscing

I’m typing this from the computer lab of my old medical school. I’m back here after a whole year of absence. Much has changed – mostly the structure and the buildings’ façade. The red tape and grouchy personnel are still firmly rooted in their places. I guess I can say that I somehow missed coming here. I see clerks all around, with their new but ragged white uniforms and the signature belt bags (contains the mandatory sphygmomanometer, stethoscope, thermometer, an occasional penlight, and maybe a tape measure). They look haggard and beat up. They are after all new clerks (about 20 days into the clerkship year) and are still getting used to hospital life. I was like that once, 2 year ago. If I was on-call for that night (or on duty as we call it here), I would get scared whenever the clock strikes around 4pm. That would mean everyone else would go home in an hour and only a handful of clerks would remain. Eventually, I got used to the lifestyle. Everyone does, I guess. Now, I’m about to take the board exams. Time flies by so fast, eh? But I’m not complaining.

Comments

Popular Posts