Hong Kong trip

On Luke: Back at Your Door (from Maroon 5’s latest album)

I got back from Hong Kong yesterday afternoon, napped a little, then returned to the airport to pick up my parents and brother. I got home a few minutes before 1 AM. But that didn’t stop me from starting my exodus from Windows to Mac.

In a surprise move from my dad, he offered me a MacBook in exchange for Charlie, my Dell PC notebook. He wanted to buy my mom a new laptop. I suggested that we buy her a Mac since it was more user friendly. He agreed. However, my mom said she needed a Windows-based laptop because of some software they use at our travel agency. I thought my dad would buy her a Dell (I saw him looking at a brochure). On the afternoon of Saturday, he offered to buy me the MacBook. So that’s the story of how Adam and I became close pals. Adam’s a white 80GB MacBook and one of the prettiest little things I’ve ever seen. He also goes well with Luke, my white iPod. Haha.

Anyway, so that’s what’s happening. I’m currently making the ‘Big Switch.’ I’m done transferring all my documents from Charlie to Adam. I’ve also successfully transferred my iTunes music library to Adam. Now I have to start getting used to the keyboard shortcuts and whatnot. I do miss my OneNote (a note-taking software I use as my e-journal). I haven’t seen an equivalent software for Macs so I’m currently settling for Word for Mac (notebook layout). This is where I’m typing this entry.

I enjoyed my trip to Hong Kong immensely. I got to really know the place because I learned how to use their very efficient MTR system (underground trains). One can be at Hong Kong Disneyland in less than an hour and at a shopping center in Central HK 30 minutes later. I met my buddy from High School, Ann Mafnas. She works as a teacher at an International School there. She pays US$ 2,000 for her apartment downtown (half the monthly salary of a US medical resident!!!).

My one Hong Kong splurge on myself: Encyclopaedia Anatomica. It’s a book that shows an 18th century galler of wax figures. The collection has 26 full length wax models and over 1500 studies of bodies and organs. I wish I could post a sample page here. I bought it for HK$ 271 (roughly US$ 35) at PageOne. I originally wanted this coffee table book that showed very beautiful micrographs of human tissues and cells (I can’t remember the title). It cost HK$ 558. I thought it was too much of a splurge for a bum. I’ll buy the book as soon as I’m earning serious money as a resident. I’ll make it the centerpiece of my future clinic. Hehe. Anyway, I’m back to the daily grind. Now it’s REALLY time to start studying for the Board exams. I can’t wait for it to be all over.

Some pictures from the trip:


At HK Disneyland with Kevin.

Saturday lunch at a swanky Victoria Peak restaurant. Luke at foreground.

My goodies from Hong Kong.

Comments

Popular Posts