Blast from the Past

I was reading my old journal tonight. I found this interesting entry, dated 10 June 2002. I'd like to post it here for posterity. Hehe. As I am in the middle of my internship year, I find that this entry brings back refreshing memories. I'll let you read on…

******

08:45 AM

10 June 2006

Sitting here at a strange hallway in the Med Bldg. of UST. It's my first day as a med student. I'm a freshman again and somehow it's very similar to being a college or even a high school freshie. Everything's new, the old students stare and gawk and smile -- smile at the fact that we are the new ones, inexperienced.

I was not able to sleep at all last night. I tried going to bed at 11:30 but I just kept on tossing and turning. As I texted to Josh, today begins my lifelong journey as a medical man. From this day forth, people who don't have a clue will look up to me and my breed of people as a class who know better. People would see us as beings who hold their life in our fragile and fallible hands. It is such a great responsibility but I have looked forward to facing this challenge ever since I was a kid. Today is the first serious step I'm taking toward the fulfillment of a lifelong passionate dream.

Except for the UPM Bio people and Aujero, I don't know a single soul. But then I believe that is what is on everyone's mind -- kind of a collective psyche. Together, all 400 of us new med students will face the challenges and hurdles posed for us by our new mentors. When we have proven ourselves worthy of the sacred white coat and the title "doctor," it will be our turn to challenge the new aspirants. Such is the cycle that is Medical Education.

It's a brand new day, a new year, a new course for me. The only difference is that after entering this field, there is no turning back. I shall be a doctor for life.

08:55 AM

******

I miss being a med student. Four years after I wrote this piece, my friends and I made a video that we showed during graduation. I wish I could show you the video. Tried uploading it via youtube. The file was too big. O well.

Comments

Popular Posts