Peering into the inside of Man

I've always been one to enjoy the beauty of nature. Sunsets fascinate me the most. There are no two similar sunsets and I always find myself awed when I witness one. One of the best sunsets I've seen was when I was on a commercial ship sailing towards Manila from Cagayan de Oro. The sunset then was truly spectacular -- that was the first moment I realized I loved sunsets. Nature in general conveys to me the beauty of the Lord. I used to believe that nature was one of the most spectacular of the Lord's creation. Take for instance, the picture below. Truly spectacular.
I'd happily credit whoever took this picture (I got it somewhere on the internet, I forgot where), just send me a line.

I scrubbed in the other day on an open heart surgery (coronary artery bypass graft or CABG, pronounced cabbage). What I saw there, I think, was the most beautiful thing, more beautiful in fact, than all of nature. There's something majestic with the way the heart pumps on specific time intervals without any external control, the way it squeezes its muscles so that blood will be pumped out into great big vessels (this particular patient's ascending aorta was the size of a 5 year old's wrist), the lungs on either side of the heart expanding and bulging through with each breath. I saw how powerful the heart muscle is as it lifted itself gently off its pericardial bed with each contraction. Studying these things from books already gave me a glimpse of the Lord's brilliance. To see the actual thing with my own two eyes was just a very humbling experience. It reminded me of my frailty as a human being, of my being a mere creature of an all-powerful, artistic, and masterful Creator. I also realized that I never would have seen such a sight had I not been a doctor, and that realization had made it all the more humbling and I just felt so privileged to be there. I was looking at God's creation at its finest.

Comments

Popular Posts