Psychiatry and Me

If you check out my profile on this blog, I said that I recently proved that I had mild traits of the Obsessive Compulsive kind. I knew I had it for a long time now, I just didn't know the medical criteria for it. And then I encountered the 4th edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV). To be sure, I do not meet the criteria for the disorder. But I do have mild symptoms. You see, it's not a normal feeling to want to "balance everything" by rubbing your left eye because you've just rubbed the itchy right eye. Or to want your water glass to be always touching the edge of your dinner plate. Or to feel the need to hear the clink of the serving spoon against the rice service plate. Little things like that. I'm not proud that I'm officially OC. It's just amusing.

Comments

JenMP said…
Okay so I saw this blog a while ago, but didn't get a chance to comment on it. It's funny that you mentioned that you at least have symptoms of the OC disorder. I always thought I was just a strange kid when I was younger, but now that you got me thinking about it, I might have had (and maybe still do) have some of those symptoms you were talking about. Like, when I was about 9 or 10, if I turned around 180 degrees for something, I suddenly felt the strongest need to turn around the other way. Course, that's because my imagination got to the best of me with the influence of Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes. But I was a very finnicky kid, especially with clothes. And even now, things like preparing a hot dog or a hamburger or a sandwich... they have to be done in a specific order and all of the condiments have to be spread equally all over. It's very strange. Anyway... yeah... I didn't mean to really get into it that much. But, thanks to your sharing about your Obsessive Compulsiveness... I think I've finally figured out the reason for some of the odd things I do! ;oP

Popular Posts