From Xanga: Wednesday, June 02, 2004

JAMIE CULLUM

i purchased JAMIE CULLUM's CD just this afternoon from Tower Records. The album's entitled TwentySomething. I posted the lyrics of one of his songs previously. He's currently up there on the My Favorite Artists list together with Michael Buble and Josh Groban. I've listened to most of his songs -- I love everything. Michael Buble' is still vocally superior to Jamie (Josh Groban is still best, of course -- no arguments there) but his advantage over Buble' is the fact that he writes some of his songs. Buble', as far as I know, is just a singer who does very good covers of old songs. I think that what makes a great musician is if he can sit down and actually think of originals. It actually made me happy to find out that in Groban's new album, Closer, he has I think one song that he wrote himself. In terms of being a real, honest-to-goodness musician, Cullum tops both Groban and Buble'. He plays wicked piano. Ole Mike admitted to not playing any instrument at all. I don't know if Josh has any talent in that aspect.
Cullum's sound is more jazz-pop. His version of "I Could Have Danced All Night" is a perfect example. It has a bit of disco influence in it actually. I just don't know if that's a good thing. Hehe. My favorite song in the whole album is still "These Are The Days" (the lyrics was posted previously) written by Jamie's brother, Ben. If only for Jamie's impeccable jazzy piano tunes in this album, TwentySomething is worth shelling out 450 bucks for.

Comments

Popular Posts